- Wednesdays - 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 99998
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 99998
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 99998
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 99998
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 99998
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 99998
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 99998
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 99998
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 99998
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 99998
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
- Mobile Vidyo Room
- Next merge: 2013-08-05
Topics for This Week
- String Freeze for Fx25
- We have a few settings bugs (bug 892113, bug 877791 and bug 896515) that need to be finalized. What is the status of the Guest Mode strings? What else?
Friends of the Mobile Team
Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge.
- Ming (first patch): bug 898044 - remove an unnecessary null check
- Federico has been investigating bug 896350 - Unable to open files by tapping the download complete notification
- Federico also wrote a good blog post about contributing to Firefox for Android
- What did you do last week?
- What are working on this week?
- Anything blocking you?
Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!
James W. (snorp)
- Bug 896670 - createPattern with 'repeat' busted on SkiaGL/PowerVR
- Bug 899535 - 'fast' canvas mochitest fails on PowerVR (Pandas) because of minor pixel differences
- Last week
- bug 894288 - fix an endless abort cycle in the B2G browser (recent regression)
- bug 891607 - fix the issue where pages loaded in landscape only render half the page (uplifted to beta)
- bug 899421 - fix a build issue with android-18
- bug 866232 - landed my big APZC tree manager change. currently looking at fallout and regressions
- bug 890932 - follow-up for bug 866232 to clean up some locking stuff
- Next week
- bug 890280 - clean up input event handling in APZC
- fix up fallout and regressions from bug 866232
- tackle a few more fennec bugs assigned to me that need attention
Chris Lord (cwiiis)
- Tracking down cause of two intermittent test failures with the contacts API on Android 2.2
- Target SDK bumped to 16 (bug 897561)
- bug 880118 - Package GeckoView into an Android library project
- Running Java and native libraries from a separate Android library project
- Currently working on separating content providers
- Past week
- Investigated bug 897723 - MappableSeekableZStream::ensure can deadlock when profiler is on
- Profiled runs are enabled again on Eideticker
- Planning for bug 897221 - dynamically updatable UA override mechanism
- Investigated bug 898416 - Reflow Timer Test does not run on my phone
- Added support for multiple running Fennec packages to profiler add-on
- Investigated bug 897723 - MappableSeekableZStream::ensure can deadlock when profiler is on
- Last week:
- Next week:
- Android/B2G WebRTC: cpu usage detection / resolution+fps switching
- Bug 894045 - Gamepad support for search suggestions
- Bug 898219 - NPE at BrowserSearch$SearchAdapter.getCount
- Bug 891631 - [Fig] Browser toolbar sometimes overlaps about:home content
- Bug 895702 - Port bytes.length fix to fig
- Bug 878156 - Tabs not closed on back press if Fennec started from a cold state
- Bug 896515 - Change session restore pref to have three states
- Looked at bug 760394 - probably want to clear bfcache on memory pressure (if we don't already)
- PTO Aug 2-9
- bug 898501 - HomeFragment should handle FaviconsLoader
- bug 898197 - Use CursorAdapter instead of SimpleCursorAdapter
- bug 898592 - Tablet crashes with new history tabs
- bug 898276 - HistoryPage should use FaviconsLoader
- bug 898073 - Thumbnails do not appear on first load
- bug 897274 - Hardware search button not launching search in new about:home
- Started working on tablet designs - http://cl.ly/image/2N0X2t1H1L04
- Bug 889620 - [FIG] Transition for creating a new tab from the tab tray
- Guest mode cleanup
- Bug 895709 - [guest] Clean up guest profile as soon as reasonable
- Bug 896117 - [guest] Add enter and exit dialogs for guest mode
- Bug 896092 - [guest] Session not restored on exit of Guest Mode
- Bug 896121 - [guest] Disable 'share' menus in guest mode -- looking into adding a disabled state for context menu items here
- Bug 808636 - Update visual style of mobile error pages
- Bug 788073 - Use platform touch redirection - New platform things landed here that we want. Will try to get it working again.
- Bug 763671 - New designs for fennec form elements - The designs and reftests don't like one another. Looking into a new approach doing some manual drawing with Thebes in nsINativeTheme.
- Bug 853844: Investigate removing the pageload throbber
- Bug 895837: Use tabs on bottom for the history panel
- Bug 886925: initial INIParser.parse to find default profile name at startup takes 75ms on a galaxy nexus
And some other small about:home hackathon bugs
- about:home hackathon
- 22 bugs fixed
- 2 bugs r+
- 3 bugs r?
- Pending areas: tablets and tests (and all the bugs in between)
- Tons of patch reviews
- Started content discussion about the Summit's Product+Technology track
- about:home tests
- Rework of remote debugging bug 888533 (Prompt handling)
- digging through devtools, and reading all the Prompt* everywhere (modules/, components/, .jsm, .java, .js, etc)
- Regression from "Launch from notifications - bug 873072" (bug 896992)
- Don't keep activities developer option
- about:home hackathon:
- Reviewing ckitching's many Search patches
- Finalizing Settings strings for Aurora merge (bug 877791)
- TelemetryRecorder/ANRReporter review (bug 891644)
- bug 896048 - Don't show site identity info when a page has loaded mixed content
- bug 897235 - Remove unused AlertsService.js
- bug 897252 - [fig] Don't create additional history sections every time a new cursor is loaded.
- bug 897250 - [fig] Fix the "Remove" context menu item to correctly remove either a bookmark or history entry
- bug 885356 - [fig] Update tab thumbnails for about:home
- In Progress
- bug 899393 - [fig] Switch-to-tab is broken
- More new about:home bugs
- TRIBE next Wed/Thur
Fixed a crash caused on debug builds by my recent thumbnail performance improvement patch Finally landed the search-with-selection patch.
- In Progress
- bug 899424 + bug 899425 - Questionably useful microoptimisations
- bug 709230 - Proguard - now working, passing unit tests, requires much cleanup before ready to land.
- bug 895423 - Search engine icons too small.. Hopefully ready for 25.. Perhaps now..
- bug 892113 - The many minor tweaks requested of the new search engine customisation page..
- Get the search customisation stuff done in time for 25
- Cleanup the proguard patch and find a reliable way of measuring the performance gains it gives us, preferably using existing tests...
- Reviews for folks.
- Meetings and discussion for PICL.
- Storage GC sketching.
- Failure scenarios for PICL storage.
- Travel: SF Aug 12-15.
- no actual work
- lots of discussion about B2G UX changes
- worked on bug 894313 and helped investigate bug 898416
- Helping out with PiCL discussions
- Asking dumb questions about protocol plans
- Looking at milestone deliverables
- Lining up resources to start implementation
- Digging into Tab Mirroring and Chromecast
- Chrome for Desktop uses a Chrome App API called tabCapture to create a WebRTC media stream
- Chromecast treats it like any other video stream
- bug 742832 could allow something like that for Firefox
- Blogged about effective teams
- Manager stuff
- About:home hackathon! Ping me if you need something reviewed, need graphics, or need any kind of UX help
- Fine-tuned some of the designs for Guest browsing: http://cl.ly/image/2C1k1V0w3U0S
- bug 888905 Tablet designs for new about:home - http://cl.ly/1z3l0g2D1E17
- Misc string tweaks before merge
- Guest browsing - bugs coming soon
- bug 877791 Settings strings
- Moar about:home polish
- also moved bug 862801 (snippet) to P1 so we don't forget about it
- will be conducting some usability testing once we merge into Nightly 26
- bug 808636 Update visual style of mobile error pages
- New designs: http://cl.ly/image/2t1d453D2R0b
- Starting to line up some new UX exploration - Kinderfox, Silverfox, Firstrun UX. Stay tuned!
- Problems running tests locally? See bug 865349.
- A-Team work week next week.
We moved about:home redesign to Fx26 for now. We also moved Push to Waiting Room/Need info since it's currently in a holding pattern until background tasks are sorted out. There was a thread about WebRTC being ready to ship. It's not but we need it to go to beta so we can get more testing and converge so we're ready for Fx24 GA on 09/17. Also, wonderful job in general!
- [AT RISK] Firefox Health Report <=='at risk' is a formality, need to just get one more confirmation in writing
- [ON TRACK] Dynamic URL bar
- [ON TRACK] L10N foundation improvements
- [ON TRACK] Added locale: Turkish
- [ON TRACK] Added locale: Hungarian
- [ON TRACK] Awesomebar and Awesomescreen improvements
- [ON TRACK] Reader improvements <==PR to take place in Fx24
- [ON TRACK] UI for changing search engine default in add-on manager
- [ON TRACK] RSS/Atom feed handling
- [ON TRACK] API: Payments <== Not user facing but will be tested soon
- [AT RISK] WebRTC platform support, preffed ON
- [AT RISK] Added locale: Swedish, sv-SE
- [ON TRACK] Reader improvements
- [ON TRACK] NFC bump for tab sharing
- [ON TRACK] Gecko Webview phase 1
- [ON TRACK] Geolocation services inc opt-in menu item
- [ON TRACK] Packaged apps foundations, but not exposed until the WebApp Experience has landed
- [ON TRACK] Quickshare
- [ON TRACK] Firefox Icon rebrand
- [ON TRACK] Change default search engine for zh-CN
- [ON TRACK] Add-on definition in distribution files
- [ON TRACK] Added locale: British English, en-GB
- [ON TRACK] Added locale: Catalan, ca-ES
- [PROPOSED] Firefox for readers
- [PROPOSED] Settings UI clean-up including search provider management
- [PLANNED] Privileged apps support
- [PLANNED] Guest browsing
- [PLANNED] API: Web Audio
- [AT RISK] Set Top Box optimization
- [AT RISK] Directional game console navigation
- [AT RISK] API: Web activities
- [ON TRACK] Page Actions
- [ON TRACK] SkiaGL improvement
- [ON TRACK] Mixed content
- [ON TRACK] API: Contacts
- [ON TRACK] Added locale: Ukrainian (ua-UK)
- [ON TRACK] Added locale: Irish (ga-IE)
- [ON TRACK] Added locale: South African English (za-EN)
- [PROPOSED] About:home redesign
- [PROPOSED] AMO and Marketplace discoverability
- [PROPOSED] Spatial Navigation (SNAV)
- [PROPOSED] API: Third-party Cloud storage
- [PROPOSED] API: Alarm
- [PROPOSED] API: Gamepad
- [PROPOSED] API: Bluetooth
- [PROPOSED] API: Push notifications
- [PROPOSED] Second screen support (initial experimental work)
- [PROPOSED] Accelerated 2D canvas (platform)
- [PROPOSED] Async subframe scrolling (platform)
The Firefox 22 Sentiment Report is live.
Gearing up for 23, Beta feedback is good.
Firefox Release and Beta ratings on the Play store are the same, 4.33, with Release rising more rapidly than Beta. We are now in the interesting situation where our release product is more highly rated than Beta (mainly due to more users).